If, when starting up Rosetta Stone, the microphone configuration stage where you have to repeat "1 2 3 4 5" takes longer than a few steps (On average I was repeating them 13 times! Now down to 1.), here is what you can do to fix it:
- In the bottom right hand side of your screen, right click the speaker icon and click "Recording devices"
- Find your microphone (usually the one with a big green tick on the picture) and left click it
- Now click the "Configure" button at the bottom left of the window
- Choose "Setup Microphone"
- Check the appropriate radio box according to your type of microphone and click "Next" twice
- Now read the sentence in bold. On Windows 7 it is, "Peter dictates to his computer. He prefers it to typing, and particularly prefers it to pen and paper".
- Click "Next" and finish the wizard.
These steps configure the volume level of your microphone. It significantly increased mine, meaning Rosetta Stone could hear me more clearly and I would not have to keep repeating the "1 2 3 4 5" step.